SEMICON Europa 2023 to Highlight Chip Industry Investments, Sustainability and Talent Strategies to Shape $1 Trillion EraOctober 24, 2023 | SEMI
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Themed Shaping a Sustainable $1 Trillion Era, SEMICON Europa 2023 will gather industry experts November 14-17 at Messe München in Munich, Germany for insights into the latest trends and innovations in sustainability, mobility, healthcare, materials, packaging, fab management and workforce development. The event, Europe’s premier exhibition and conference for the microelectronics supply chain, will feature keynotes from the electronics design and manufacturing ecosystem, academia and government. Registration is open.
Co-located with productronica, SEMICON Europa 2023 will feature an exhibition, strategic programs, technical sessions and panel discussions.
"We look forward to hosting leaders from across the value chain to explore new innovations that will help drive continued semiconductor industry growth in Europe and globally," said Laith Altimime, President of SEMI Europe. “Just as importantly, visionaries will gather to offer insights into achieving net zero and overcoming the talent gap. Increased European chip industry investments from the EU Chips Act are vital in enabling semiconductor powerhouses to accelerate the development of sustainable technology solutions that fuel the $1 trillion exponential growth.”
SEMICON Europa Highlights
- CEO Summit: Executives from Cadence, CEA-Leti, Comet Group, Edwards, Infineon Technologies, Intel, imec and TSMC will share perspectives on key topics such as sustainability and innovation paving the way to the future of the European semiconductor industry.
- Advanced Packaging Conference: Industry leaders will showcase packaging innovations driving sustainability in areas like front-end integration megatrends, supply chain solutions, testing, reliability, System in Package (SiP) and power electronics packaging.
- Fab Management Forum: Experts will discuss topics including fab expansions, industrial collaboration models, workforce development, net zero solutions, and smarter manufacturing for a connected ecosystem.
- ITF towards NETZERO - Powered by imec: Industry leaders will discuss environmental challenges and innovative sustainability approaches in the semiconductor industry.
- ALD TechDay – Powered by Beneq: Experts from Yole Intelligence, Beneq and imec will deep dive into innovative Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) applications.
- SEMI Networking Night: Industry stakeholders will gather to connect with peers and explore new business partnerships.
“ALD has enabled the scaling of logic and memory semiconductor devices,” said Lie Luo, Head of Marketing at Beneq. “Today, ALD is rapidly gaining adoption in specialty device fabrication, including in wide-bandgap GaN and SiC power semiconductors. The ALD TechDay will present ALD adoption trends, equipment and process solutions, as well as innovations in novel architectures, materials, and performance improvements.”
Executive Forum Program
- Global GAAC Summit - Smart Mobility Forum: This forum provides an industry-wide perspective on automotive and electronics value chains while addressing current challenges and exploring solutions in the automotive semiconductor sector.
- Electrification and Power Semiconductors: This session highlights advancements in manufacturing efficiency and next-gen application technologies.
- Smart MedTech Forum: Experts will delve into how real-time data and personalized insights are transforming the healthcare landscape.
- Smart Manufacturing: Leaders will address supply chain optimization, data acquisition, digital twins, manufacturing scheduling, and sustainable manufacturing.
- Empowering People and Industries to Innovate and Invest for a Better Future: Specialists will present approaches to collaboration, funding, growth acceleration, government incentives, net zero goals and sustainability promotion.
- Connecting Automotive to SiC Manufacturing: Advancing SiC manufacturing for semiconductor power not only enhances e-mobility, but also addresses production costs and the growing demand for SiC components, particularly within the automotive sector.
- Fireside Chat with Wolfspeed CFO, Neill Reynolds: Wolfspeed's CFO will discuss the key challenges faced during their global manufacturing expansion and offer advice for chipmakers looking to expand manufacturing capacity worldwide.
- Materials Innovation: This session will explore materials innovation developments and challenges related to modern nanoelectronics technology manufacturing.
- Integrated Photonics: This session provides insights into the significance of Photonic Integrated Circuits (PICs) in future of communications, biosensing, and manufacturing.
- Future Disruptions: Future disruptions entail sustainable, energy-efficient semiconductor tech with minimal power use and optimal performance. This session addresses disruptions for capacity enhancement and industry-wide collaboration.
- Future of Computing: Experts will showcase the latest technological advancements in quantum computing, neuromorphic computing, and trusted electronics.
- The Future of Work: Industry leaders will discuss the crucial role of inclusive leadership in developing a diverse and sustainable workforce, addressing the global talent shortage, future leaders' mentorship programs, and the onboarding of new talent.
- SCREEN ─ Innovation For a Sustainable World: Experts will present solutions for research and development topics in Europe and will show new equipment platforms.
- EU Digital Future Forum: EU-funded collaborations enhance productivity, address challenges, and boost profitability. The session explores how these efforts enable next-gen innovation and global competitiveness.
- European PFAS Restriction Proposal: Experts will discuss the use of Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in the semiconductor sector in light of the legislative process.
- SOI for Automotive: Industry experts will deep dive into how Silicon on Insulator (SOI) technology is being adopted to solve the challenges of speed, reliability, and sustainability for the automotive sector and other critical industries.
- Film Premiere ─ Chip In: The European premiere of Chip In, a documentary featuring three young adults in their twenties on a tour to explore careers in microelectronics.
- Innovation Showcase: SEMI will highlight microelectronics and semiconductor innovations in pre-recorded messages and product announcements.
SMTA will be hosting a new symposium on March 26th in Phoenix focused on Ultra High-Density Interconnect (HDI) technology. As the semiconductor industry charges forward, demanding ever-increasing performance and miniaturization, the SMTA Ultra HDI Symposium sets the stage for industry pioneers, researchers, engineers, designers, and academia to engage in the active sharing of information while addressing the complexities and innovations reshaping the world of Ultra HDI technology.
ASC Sunstone, a leading provider of high-quality printed circuit board (PCB) solutions, is pleased to announce its sponsorship of the upcoming Ultra High-Density Interconnects (UHDI) event hosted by the Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA). The event, titled "Advancements in HDI: Driving Innovation Forward," will serve as a platform for industry professionals to explore the latest trends and technologies in high-density interconnects.
The largest investment project not only in Saxony-Anhalt but in all of Europe is Intel's establishment in Magdeburg. Approximately 30 billion euros are set to be invested in the construction of multiple chip factories.
It was a good week in PCB design and manufacturing. In this week’s wrap-up, we have news about an uptick in EMS shipments in January, a look at the current M&A climate, some guidance on investing in your company in order to stay competitive, a primer on designing with embedded capacitance materials, and a roadmap for the industry to embrace sustainable PCBs in the future.
Inovaxe, a world leader and provider of innovative material handling and inventory control systems, is excited to announce its upcoming live webinar, "What is Smart Material Handling?" scheduled for Thursday, February 29th, 2024 at 11AM EST.