- design007 Magazine
Latest IssuesCurrent Issue
In this issue, we discuss some of the challenges, pitfalls and mitigations to consider when designing non-standard board geometries. We share strategies for designing odd-shaped PCBs, including manufacturing trade-offs and considerations required for different segments and perspectives.
- Events||| MENU
- design007 Magazine
IPC Welcomes U.S. Economic Stabilization Package, Proposes Agenda for Economic Recovery and Resiliency in Electronics ManufacturingMarch 25, 2020 | IPC
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
On behalf of electronics manufacturers in the United States and around the world, IPC thanks the U.S. Congress and the Trump administration for reaching agreement today on a $2 trillion economic stabilization package to address the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The federal government is taking unprecedented measures to help the U.S. economy weather and recover from the current global crisis,” said IPC President and CEO John Mitchell. “The $2 trillion stimulus bill will extend rapid financial relief to the businesses and individuals that need it most.”
The White House and bipartisan leaders in Congress have agreed on legislation that includes the following provisions of interest to the electronics manufacturing industry:
- Financial Help for Hard-Hit Businesses: The bill includes $500 billion in loans and loan guarantees, including $17 billion for businesses critical to national security, $350 billion to help small businesses; and $50 million for the Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership to help small- and medium-sized manufacturers expand markets.
- Assistance for Health Care: More than $150 billion is included for hospitals, which are among the nation’s largest purchasers of electronic systems.
- Unemployment Insurance: The bill includes $250 billion to expand unemployment insurance and extend coverage to four months.
As a next step, IPC is urging federal officials to take additional actions to support the electronics manufacturing sector and drive the nation’s economic recovery. Specifically, IPC urges U.S. Government officials to adopt measures in IPC’s Roadmap to Economic Recovery, including:
- Keeping essential factories open by recognizing electronics manufacturing for defense and healthcare needs as “critical infrastructure”;
- Supporting supply chain resiliency by adopting a $10 billion Electronics Manufacturing Initiative;
- Spurring global trade by suspending import duties on all countries that agree to reciprocal treatment for U.S. exports, and deferring the payment of import duties;
- Delaying non-essential regulatory proceedings;
- Facilitating transportation and shipping recovery;
- Supporting the financial security of manufacturing workers; and
- Keeping manufacturing workers healthy by clarifying workplace health protections for essential facilities.
“Electronics manufacturing is as critical to the economy as the nervous system is to the body,” said Mitchell. “Although our industry’s numbers will be depressed in 2020 and 2021, just like everyone else’s, we believe electronics will be at the center of the recovery, because we’re at the center of the economy.”
Electronics manufacturing supports more than 5.3 million U.S. jobs and drives more than $714 billion in U.S. GDP. Every single U.S. electronics manufacturing job supports three other jobs in the U.S. national economy, a strong multiplier effect.
For additional information, visit IPC’s COVID-19 (coronavirus) resource page at www.ipc.org/coronavirus.
ROCKA Solutions is excited to announce that Justin Worden, Vice President of Sales & Marketing, will present at the upcoming SMTA Dallas Expo & Tech Forum. The event is scheduled to take place Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at the Plano Event Center.
KYZEN, the global leader in innovative environmentally friendly cleaning chemistries, is thrilled to announce the premier of a new online video series “Ask Dr. Adam.”
I-Connect007 has just released the latest episode of its podcast series, On the Line with..., which focuses on designing for reality in the electronics industry. In this episode, host Nolan Johnson talks with ASC Sunstone VP/Manager Matt Stevenson about CAD tool features and data formats that help designers make better decisions and transfer better designs to manufacturing.
TT Electronics, a leading provider of global manufacturing solutions and engineered technologies, proudly announces the grand opening of its newest manufacturing facility located in Mexicali, Mexico.
NEOTech Launches World-Class NPI and Electronics Manufacturing Center of Excellence in Silicon Valley, Northern CA02/20/2024 | NEOTech
NEOTech, a leading provider of electronic manufacturing services (EMS), design engineering, and supply chain solutions in the high-tech industrial, medical device, and aerospace/defense markets, is excited to announce the upcoming launch of a state-of-the-art New Product Introduction (NPI) and electronics manufacturing center of excellence at its Fremont, CA facility.