- design007 Magazine
Latest IssuesCurrent Issue
The Standards of Design
Our expert contributors discuss how PCB designers can utilize standards to save time and money, not to mention frustration. We also spotlight the newly updated version of the IPC Checklist, a handy guide that illustrates which standards cover which topics, from front-end design through assembly.
Rigid-flex: Designing in 3D
In this month’s issue, our expert contributors share their best tips, tricks and techniques for designing rigid-flex circuits. If you’re a rigid board designer considering moving into the 3D world of rigid-flex, this issue is just what the doctor ordered!
- Events||| MENU
- design007 Magazine
Electronic System Design Industry Hits Record Revenue of Nearly $3.8 Billion in 2Q22, ESD Alliance ReportsOctober 17, 2022 | SEMI
Estimated reading time: 1 minute
Electronic System Design (ESD) industry revenue increased 17.5% from $3,191.4 million in Q2 2021 to $3,748.7 million in Q2 2022, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, announced today in its latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 15.3%.
“The electronic design automation (EDA) industry in Q2 2022 posted the highest year-over-year (YOY) increase in over a decade,” said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor of the SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report. “Quarterly revenue reached a record $3,748.7 million. All product categories and geographic regions recorded growth in the quarter.”
The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 54,408 people globally in Q2 2022, an 8.9% increase over the Q2 2021 headcount of 49,964 and up 6% compared to Q1 2022.
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by Product and Application Category – Year-Over-Year Change
- Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) revenue increased 12.1% to $1,137.3 million. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 12.9%.
- IC Physical Design and Verification revenue increased 13% to $657 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category increased 0.6%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM) revenue increased 22% to $347.1 million. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM rose 12.9%.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue jumped 22.6% to $1,476.7 million. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 25.3%.
- Services revenue increased 23.2% to $130.7 million. The four-quarter Services moving average increased 24.8%.
Revenue by Region – Year-Over-Year Change
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, procured $1,643.4 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 20.2% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 18.5%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) procured $472 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 13.7% increase. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 9%.
- Japan’s procurement of electronic system design products and services increased 6.1% to $252.3 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 4.3%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) procured $1,381 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 17.9% increase. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 16.1%.
Cadence Signoff Solutions Empower Samsung Foundry’s Breakthrough Success on 5G Networking SoC Design12/01/2023 | Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
Cadence Design Systems, Inc. announced that Samsung Foundry successfully taped out a 5G networking SoC design on the Samsung 5LPE technology using the Cadence® Quantus™ Extraction Solution and Tempus™ Timing Solution.
There are many ways, dozens to be sure, and most likely many more, to streamline a PCB design. My goal here is to pick a single-digit number of rules to abide by, that can be reasonably adhered to, and provide some bang for the buck. These rules are meant to reduce design scope creep, avoid PCB respins, and improve production yields.
Hirose has expanded its low-profile DF51K wire-to-board connector series to include a surface mount technology (SMT) version. Compatible with automated assembly processes, including pick-and-place machines, the DF51K SMT Series simplifies the assembly process and saves significant manufacturing time and cost.
Siemens Digital Industries Software set the benchmark for innovation in the field of engineering simulation with the launch of two groundbreaking solutions - HEEDS™ AI Simulation Predictor software and Simcenter™ Reduced Order Modeling software.
I am, at heart, a die-hard “Star Trek” fan. When I was a kid, I was all about phasers, warp drive, and cool stuff like that. However, these days, I tend to put a higher value on production and storytelling. But like any fan (I’m avoiding “Trekkie” because, frankly, it’s kind of embarrassing), I have certain moments from the hundreds (if not thousands) of hours filmed for the various TV shows and movies that are among my favorites. One of those moments is in “Star Trek III, The Search for Spock,” when our heroes steal the Starship Enterprise from space dock.