- design007 Magazine
Latest IssuesCurrent Issue
Rigid-flex: Designing in 3D
In this month’s issue, our expert contributors share their best tips, tricks and techniques for designing rigid-flex circuits. If you’re a rigid board designer considering moving into the 3D world of rigid-flex, this issue is just what the doctor ordered!
Simulation, Analysis, and AI
Getting today’s designs “right the first time” is critical, especially with costly advanced PCBs. Simulation and analysis software tools can help you in the fight to eliminate respins. They’re not magical, but they can predict the future of your design.
Advanced, Complex & Emerging Designs
This month, our contributors focus on designing PCBs with advanced, complex and emerging technologies. We investigate design strategies for boards that are on the cutting edge of technology, or crazily complex, or so new that designers are still writing the rules as they go.
- Events||| MENU
- design007 Magazine
Electronic System Design Industry Hits Record Revenue of Nearly $3.8 Billion in 2Q22, ESD Alliance ReportsOctober 17, 2022 | SEMI
Estimated reading time: 1 minute
Electronic System Design (ESD) industry revenue increased 17.5% from $3,191.4 million in Q2 2021 to $3,748.7 million in Q2 2022, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, announced today in its latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 15.3%.
“The electronic design automation (EDA) industry in Q2 2022 posted the highest year-over-year (YOY) increase in over a decade,” said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor of the SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report. “Quarterly revenue reached a record $3,748.7 million. All product categories and geographic regions recorded growth in the quarter.”
The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 54,408 people globally in Q2 2022, an 8.9% increase over the Q2 2021 headcount of 49,964 and up 6% compared to Q1 2022.
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by Product and Application Category – Year-Over-Year Change
- Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) revenue increased 12.1% to $1,137.3 million. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 12.9%.
- IC Physical Design and Verification revenue increased 13% to $657 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category increased 0.6%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM) revenue increased 22% to $347.1 million. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM rose 12.9%.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue jumped 22.6% to $1,476.7 million. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 25.3%.
- Services revenue increased 23.2% to $130.7 million. The four-quarter Services moving average increased 24.8%.
Revenue by Region – Year-Over-Year Change
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, procured $1,643.4 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 20.2% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 18.5%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) procured $472 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 13.7% increase. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 9%.
- Japan’s procurement of electronic system design products and services increased 6.1% to $252.3 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 4.3%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) procured $1,381 million of electronic system design products and services in Q2 2022, a 17.9% increase. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 16.1%.
This week has been chock full of news about upcoming trade shows and conferences. Clearly, the season is upon us. This week, I-Connect007 reported on PCB West in Santa Clara (often referred to as the show which kicks off trade show season) and the topic of artificial intelligence was everywhere. By the looks of it, not just at the conference, either. For months now, the mainstream media has been gobbling up all sorts of news about generative AI engines, painting the picture that we’ll all lose our jobs to these tools, while also reporting on situations where the results from AI have gotten progressively worse over time.
Fueled by an AI-driven inventory stocking frenzy across the supply chain, TrendForce reveals that Q2 revenue for the top 10 global IC design powerhouses soared to US $38.1 billion, marking a 12.5% quarterly increase.
Cadence Design Systems, Inc. announced it has expanded its design IP portfolio on TSMC’s 3nm (N3E) process—most notably with the addition of the flagship Cadence® 224G Long-Reach (224G-LR) SerDes PHY IP, which has achieved first-pass silicon success.
PCB prototyping is a critical juncture during an electronic device’s journey from concept to reality. Regardless of a project’s complexity, the process of transforming a design into a working board is often enlightening in terms of how a design can be improved before a PCB is ready for full production.
Cadence Design Systems, Inc. and CEVA, Inc. announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement for Cadence to acquire Intrinsix Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of CEVA and a provider of design engineering solutions focused on the U.S. aerospace and defense industry.