- design007 Magazine
Latest IssuesCurrent Issue
The Standards of Design
Our expert contributors discuss how PCB designers can utilize standards to save time and money, not to mention frustration. We also spotlight the newly updated version of the IPC Checklist, a handy guide that illustrates which standards cover which topics, from front-end design through assembly.
Rigid-flex: Designing in 3D
In this month’s issue, our expert contributors share their best tips, tricks and techniques for designing rigid-flex circuits. If you’re a rigid board designer considering moving into the 3D world of rigid-flex, this issue is just what the doctor ordered!
- Events||| MENU
- design007 Magazine
Electronic System Design Industry Logs $3.9B in Revenue in Q4 2022May 2, 2023 | SEMI
Estimated reading time: 1 minute
Electronic System Design (ESD) industry revenue increased 11.3% from $3,468.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2021 to $3,858.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2022, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, announced in its latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 12.6%.
“The electronic design automation (EDA) industry posted double-digit gains in Q4 2022, with increases in all major product categories,” said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor of the SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report. “All geographic regions recorded growth in the quarter, with Asia Pacific reporting a double-digit increase.”
The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 56,501 people globally in Q4 2022, a 10.3% increase over the Q4 2021 headcount of 51,236 and up 2% compared to Q3 2022.
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by Product and Application Category – Year-Over-Year Change
- Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) revenue jumped 16.9% to $1,244.2 million. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 16.1%.
- IC Physical Design and Verification revenue rose 11.8% to $698.3 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category increased 6.9%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM) revenue edged up 1.7% to $339.4 million. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM rose 9.9%.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue climbed 9.3% to $1,436.3 million. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 12.9%.
- Services revenue increased 7.1% to $140.5 million. The four-quarter Services moving average rose 17.9%.
Revenue by Region – Year-Over-Year Change
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, procured $1,714.5 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2022, an 8.7% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 13.6%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) procured $504.6 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2022, a 4.6% increase. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 3.6%.
- Japan’s procurement of electronic system design products and services increased 8.6% to $242.1 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 1.7%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) procured $1,397.5 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2022, a 17.9% increase. The four-quarter moving average for APAC grew 17.1%.
Cadence Signoff Solutions Empower Samsung Foundry’s Breakthrough Success on 5G Networking SoC Design12/01/2023 | Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
Cadence Design Systems, Inc. announced that Samsung Foundry successfully taped out a 5G networking SoC design on the Samsung 5LPE technology using the Cadence® Quantus™ Extraction Solution and Tempus™ Timing Solution.
There are many ways, dozens to be sure, and most likely many more, to streamline a PCB design. My goal here is to pick a single-digit number of rules to abide by, that can be reasonably adhered to, and provide some bang for the buck. These rules are meant to reduce design scope creep, avoid PCB respins, and improve production yields.
Hirose has expanded its low-profile DF51K wire-to-board connector series to include a surface mount technology (SMT) version. Compatible with automated assembly processes, including pick-and-place machines, the DF51K SMT Series simplifies the assembly process and saves significant manufacturing time and cost.
Siemens Digital Industries Software set the benchmark for innovation in the field of engineering simulation with the launch of two groundbreaking solutions - HEEDS™ AI Simulation Predictor software and Simcenter™ Reduced Order Modeling software.
I am, at heart, a die-hard “Star Trek” fan. When I was a kid, I was all about phasers, warp drive, and cool stuff like that. However, these days, I tend to put a higher value on production and storytelling. But like any fan (I’m avoiding “Trekkie” because, frankly, it’s kind of embarrassing), I have certain moments from the hundreds (if not thousands) of hours filmed for the various TV shows and movies that are among my favorites. One of those moments is in “Star Trek III, The Search for Spock,” when our heroes steal the Starship Enterprise from space dock.