- design007 Magazine
Latest IssuesCurrent Issue
Rigid-flex: Designing in 3D
In this month’s issue, our expert contributors share their best tips, tricks and techniques for designing rigid-flex circuits. If you’re a rigid board designer considering moving into the 3D world of rigid-flex, this issue is just what the doctor ordered!
Simulation, Analysis, and AI
Getting today’s designs “right the first time” is critical, especially with costly advanced PCBs. Simulation and analysis software tools can help you in the fight to eliminate respins. They’re not magical, but they can predict the future of your design.
Advanced, Complex & Emerging Designs
This month, our contributors focus on designing PCBs with advanced, complex and emerging technologies. We investigate design strategies for boards that are on the cutting edge of technology, or crazily complex, or so new that designers are still writing the rules as they go.
- Events||| MENU
- design007 Magazine
Electronic System Design Industry Logs $3.9B in Revenue in Q4 2022May 2, 2023 | SEMI
Estimated reading time: 1 minute
Electronic System Design (ESD) industry revenue increased 11.3% from $3,468.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2021 to $3,858.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2022, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, announced in its latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 12.6%.
“The electronic design automation (EDA) industry posted double-digit gains in Q4 2022, with increases in all major product categories,” said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor of the SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report. “All geographic regions recorded growth in the quarter, with Asia Pacific reporting a double-digit increase.”
The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 56,501 people globally in Q4 2022, a 10.3% increase over the Q4 2021 headcount of 51,236 and up 2% compared to Q3 2022.
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by Product and Application Category – Year-Over-Year Change
- Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) revenue jumped 16.9% to $1,244.2 million. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 16.1%.
- IC Physical Design and Verification revenue rose 11.8% to $698.3 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category increased 6.9%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM) revenue edged up 1.7% to $339.4 million. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM rose 9.9%.
- Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) revenue climbed 9.3% to $1,436.3 million. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 12.9%.
- Services revenue increased 7.1% to $140.5 million. The four-quarter Services moving average rose 17.9%.
Revenue by Region – Year-Over-Year Change
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, procured $1,714.5 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2022, an 8.7% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 13.6%.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) procured $504.6 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2022, a 4.6% increase. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 3.6%.
- Japan’s procurement of electronic system design products and services increased 8.6% to $242.1 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 1.7%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) procured $1,397.5 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2022, a 17.9% increase. The four-quarter moving average for APAC grew 17.1%.
Cadence Design Systems, Inc. and CEVA, Inc. announced that Cadence has completed its acquisition of Intrinsix Corporation from CEVA.
Based on the wisdom of 50 years of PCB manufacturing at Sunstone Circuits, this book is a must-have reference for designers understanding the PCB manufacturing process as it relates to their design. Designing for manufacturability requires understanding the production process fundamentals and factors within the process that often lead to variations in manufacturability, reliability, and cost of the board.
This week’s must-reads cover a little bit of everything: advanced packaging substrates, rigid-flex design, the potential loss of tribal knowledge, ultra HDI processing, and the need for fabricators to begin utilizing Smart systems. In a few weeks, we’ll be attending SMTA International in Minneapolis, and then productronica in Munich. We hope to see you on the road!
Siemens, TSMC Collaborate to Help Mutual Customers Optimize Designs Using Foundry's Newest Advancements09/29/2023 | Siemens
Siemens Digital Industries Software announced new certifications and collaborations with longtime partner TSMC, resulting in the successful qualification of multiple industry-leading Siemens EDA product lines for the foundry’s latest process technologies.
Cadence Design Systems, Inc. announced the availability of new system prototyping flows based on the Cadence® Integrity™ 3D-IC Platform that support the 3Dblox 2.0 standard.